It is needless to say that an electric bike makes your daily life easier in many ways. Of course, you can buy a new electric bike. But, it will be a wise decision for you if you convert your conventional bike to an excellent e-bike. It may save a large amount of your hard-earned money. Now, if you don’t know how to make an electric bike with a starter motor, I am here today to tell you about this.
In this comprehensive guide I will show you the complete step by step process for converting your traditional bike to a fabulous electric bike.
So, without any further delay, let’s begin.
Necessary Parts You Need For This Conversion
Converting a normal bicycle into an e-bike is not rocket science at all. But, you need some necessary E-Bike kits for this conversion process. For instance, you have to gather the following parts to make this entire process happen.
- A traditional bicycle
- A starter motor
- An accelerator
- Motor controller
- A master link
Things to Consider While Choosing Parts for This Process
Select The Traditional Bike Carefully: As you are going to transform a bicycle into an off-road electric bike, it should be chosen carefully. You may want to carry some heavy things in your e-bike, therefore, choose a bicycle which should be able to carry some extra weight.
The tires should also be modified carefully. Overall, choose a bicycle with enough space so that the modification process can be done easily.
Get the Perfect Batteries: While buying the batteries you should check the voltage carefully. Your chosen batteries should have the capacity to run an e-bike without any kind of disturbance. Besides, you should get the perfect charger for you.
Get The Perfect Starter Motor: The next thing you should choose for this conversion process is a starter motor. It should come perfectly and you need to check whether it is suitable for your bicycle or not.
If you don’t know where you can get a starter motor, let me tell you. You can get this from any kind of store which sells bike parts.
Choose the Motor Controller Wisely: When you ride an electronic bike, the energy generates in the battery and it will transfer to the motor. Now, this motor controller regulates this energy flow which is so essential for an e-bike. You also have to choose the battery connectors for this process.
Select an accelerator: You surely want to control the acceleration of the e-bike, right? In this case, you should check the “hall effect” in the accelerator while buying it for this conversion process.
The Main 6 Step to Setup Conversion Process
Now that you already know about all of the essential parts to convert your traditional bicycle into an electronic bike, you most probably want to know the actual process to do it. You have to follow these steps carefully to make this happen.
- Make Connection Between Batteries: The very first step for this entire conversion process is connecting the batteries. If you want to make a series connection between batteries, you can do it easily.
You just have to connect the positive (+) end of a battery to the negative(-) end of another battery with a cable. If you want, you can also make a parallel connection between the batteries as well.
- Install The Motor Carefully: The next step is all about installing the motor carefully on the bicycle. Now, you have to make a connection between the engine and a crankshaft through a chain. The successful installation of the motor in the bicycle will decide upon the rest of the success of the project.
- Test the engine: In this case, you have to spin the chain centering the crankshaft wheel and hold the engine. Now, run a test to check whether everything is running okay or not. To make a connection between two sides of the chain, you can use a master link.
Now, the next essential thing is adjusting the motor carefully. Your motor should be set in a position such that you don’t have to worry while riding the electronic bike.
- Keep the Motor Stay Firm: The most important thing you should focus on now is firmly setting the motor on the e-bike. You may want to adjust the plate to set the motor properly. In this case, a pen or marker will help you a lot.
Now, make sure that the engine is strongly attached to the plate of the bike. For holding the motor firmly, you may use screws as well.
- Mount the Accelerator in the Right Way: Now, at this stage you have to mount the accelerator in the right way. You may find other ways too. But, I am going to show you a very simple method to do this.
You have to insert a stiff element between the handle and handlebar of the bike. You can find that stiff element in your old bicycle. Now, a detergent and water mixture will help you out in the rest of the work.
- Connecting the Rest of The Dots: If you have followed all other works properly, you have passed all of the difficult parts of the entire process. At this point, you just have to connect the rest of the dots to finish the work correctly. You may want to adjust the accelerator with the handlebar by using a screw.
Now, you have to make connections between the engine, controller, and the throttle cables correctly. You have to check the engine now for one more time to see if it’s working or not.
The next thing you have to do is make a connection of the motor with the battery, but you should connect them semi-permanently. Also, you can adjust the chain with washers. Although there are some steps you should follow for this entire process, knowing how to make an electric bike with a drill will make things even easier for you.
An electric bike can bring lots of positive changes to your lifestyle. You already know that you can convert your traditional bicycle into an e-bike easily. I believe this comprehensive guide helped you to know how to make an electric bike with a starter motor.