Which is the best Running Or Biking ? If you losing weight needs to burn more calories than consume. Both running and cycling are excellent forms of exercise to losing weight. Which one is better for you totally depends on your own preferences and physical condition.
In this article, I will like to talk on Biking Vs Running from different perspectives. Any of these activities will help you to lose weight and keep your body fit. It also helps to reduce the risk of chronic disease and helpful for leading a long life.
Table of Contents
Benefits of Running:
Benefits of Cycling:
Which One Is Better: Biking vs Running?
It is hard to say which is perfect for you because it depends on what kind of activity you want but I recommend biking is better than running because you can ride a bike for a long period and burn more calories as a result. Moreover, unlike running, biking brings even no injuries and also to get protection from injuries should wear good running or walking shoes.
The benefits of biking over running:
- Quick result: biking brings faster result because it is low impact activity so you can go for longer but running leads to muscle fatigue resulting you cannot continue.
- Fewer injuries: in running, injuries are common but biking protects you from those types of injuries which are caused by running and biking is good for your knees and joint than running.
- Suitable for all age groups: biking is a kind of activity that is suitable for all ages. From child to old anyone can perform this exercise but run may not be suitable for all age groups as it requires more physical strength.
- Multiple benefits over running: you will get many benefits at the same time if you take a bike as a mode of transportation. For example, if you go your workplace with a bike it can make up your exercise and also save your transportation cost.
We have collected here the top bicycles in the world and written their reviews. If you want you can read these bikes reviews here.
View of Experts
In terms of losing fat, running is a superior activity but a recent study from the Appalachian State University (ASU)’s Human Performance Laboratory (HPL) in the USA showed that long-distance runners faced more muscle damage, soreness and inflammation than cyclists as a result many people are choosing biking over running to avoid injury.
The study analyzed blood samples from cyclists and runners from 19 to 45 who regularly compete in races. The athletes exercised for 2.5 hours per day for three days in the lab at 70%max. Their blood was taken after one, 14 and 38 hours to determine that the runners were in a significantly worse state.
How many calories do you burn when cycling & running?
The following table shows an average estimation of how many calories you burn while cycling or running for an hour at different intensities.
|Activity||Calories Burned Per Hour|
|Cycling, 12-13.9 mph, moderately||472||563||654||745|
|Cycling, 14-15.9 mph, vigorous||590||704||817||931|
|Cycling, 16-19 mph, very fast||710||846||981||1,006|
|Running, 6 mph (10 min mile)||590||704||816||930|
|Running, 8 mph (7.5 min mile)||797||950||1,103||1,206|
|Running, 10 mph (6 min mile)||944||1,122||1,306||1,456|
In general, running burns more calories than biking because it requires you to support your body weight but at the same time injuries are common in running.
Things to remember:
- See your doctor for a check-up before starting an exercise program for burn calories.
- Don’t need to hurry, begin the level of intensity of your exercise program step by step.
- Don’t forget to take a plenty of water before, during and after running or biking.
- Don’t cross your time limitation for a single session.
- If you injure yourself while biking or running, stop your exercise and immediately go to the doctor.
- Put on loose cotton clothes while riding or biking.
Any kind of exercise activity needs to keep patient of yourself if you want your desired result. Both Biking and running offer great benefits for your fitness and well-being. The best exercise is one with which you can adapt more easily.
I hope and belief that the Biking Vs Running Article will helpful to you in giving important information to chose one and plan for exercise that serve your ultimate goal.